Lemon meringue cupcakes
What's better than a cupcake? A lemon meringue cupcake, that's what. Complete with a secret stash of lemon curd inside and a cute baked meringue topping.
200g self-raising flour
50g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
100g Kerrygold butter (melted and cooled)
3 tablespoons lemon curd
2 egg whites
125g caster sugar
1 tsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
2. Place 12 muffin cases in muffin tin.
3. Sieve flour, stir in caster sugar, then make a well in the middle. In separate bowl, place egg, egg yolk and beat together, stir in milk, vanilla and butter.
4. Pour the egg mixture into well and stir until just mixed. Divide the mixture into the cases, bake for 15 minutes.
5. Take out of oven (leave the oven on), cool for a few minutes and then hollow out a piece from the middle, using a small sharp knife
6. Fill the hole with the lemon curd.
7. Whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form and gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition. Pipe some of meringue mixture on each muffin into a peak. Sprinkle with caster sugar.
8.. Bake for 5 minutes until meringue is crisp and golden.
For more recipe ideas from Kerrygold, visit: http://www.kerrygold.co.uk
Back to Recipes